# # #...
Written by Indiana 105
Thursday, May 23, 2013 |12:44 pm
# # #...
Today Governor Mike Pence sent a letter to leaders of the U.S. House of Representatives and U.S. Senate, pushing for legislators to bring his proposed federal shield law up for a vote. When Pence served as a US Representative from Indiana, he led multiple efforts to pass the Free Flow of Information Act to let journalists shield confidential sources from disclosure except in certain situations, such as when national security is threatened. Though there is no federal shield law, states have them, and Indiana's is considered one of the broader ones in the country. The Attorney General recently came under fire from both Democrats and Republicans for the department's seizure of reporters phone records, despite the Attorney General's claim that a very serious leak of classified information is involved.
Porter County Sheriff David Lain is asking motorists to avoid Sedley Road (County Road 475 West) near County Road 400 North in Union Township as crews continue to clear the scene of a three-vehicle crash that happened around 7-o'clock this morning. Motorists are advised to avoid Sedley between US 30 and State Road 130. There were injuries, but the extent of those injuries is not known at this time.
The Indiana Department of Transportation says all possible road work restrictions will be lifted beginning around noon on Friday, through early Tuesday morning, to allow drivers a safer and more efficient holiday travel weekend over the Memorial Day period.
Wherever possible, road restrictions will be removed. But some closures and restrictions will remain on larger projects that cannot be safely reopened to traffic for the weekend. Here are restrictions around the Region that will remain in place:
- SR 152 (Indianapolis Blvd), Hammond - Nine Span Bridge closed over the IHB Rail Yard, for bridge replacement
- U.S. 12 (5th Ave), Gary – Lane restrictions in place between 3 miles west of I-65 and 1 mile east of I-65, for road reconstruction
- U.S. 6, Kingsford Heights (just south of LaPorte) – U.S. 6 Bridge closed 2 miles east of the western U.S. 6 junction with U.S. 35 (just north of Meadowbrook Blvd.), for bridge replacement
- SR 55, southwest of Rensselaer – SR 55 Bridge closed between SR 16 and SR 114, for bridge replacement
- I-94, Porter County (near Chesterton) – Lane restrictions in both directions on bridge over Beam Street, just east of U.S. 20 exit, for bridge deck replacement
- I-94, Porter County (near Portage) - Lane restrictions in both directions on bridge 1 mile east of Toll Road ramp, for bridge deck replacement
St. Joseph County
- SR 23, South Bend – Road closed between the Five Points Intersection (Eddy St.) and Twyckenham Dr., for water main construction
- U.S. 20 Bypass, South Bend – Lane restrictions in both directions on the Bypass between the U.S. 20 exit and the Indiana Toll Road exit, for road resurfacing
- SR 933, Mishawaka – SR 933 (Lincolnway) Bridge over Baugo Creek closed between County Line Road (Ash) and Capital Avenue, for bridge replacement
INDOT says stay informed throughout the holiday weekend by liking the INDOT Northwest Facebook page or follow them on Twitter: @INDOTNorthwest
(Photo Courtesy of Gary Mayor's Office)
The Mayor of Gary on Wednesday assembled a host of Gary EMT and Fire Department staff at city hall recognizing EMS Week in the City of Gary. Mayor Karen Freeman-Wilson says, “over the last two-years, the EMS Department has experienced some challenges based on some difficult decisions that had to be made, and never during the time of transition did their focus shift from serving the citizens of Gary. I applaud them for their commitment to this city and I wouldn't want to be in any other place in the time of an emergency.”
# # #...
Page 403 of 725