Fire Department: Homeowner Alerted by CO Detector

(Image provided)

In Porter County, Liberty Township Volunteer Fire says a late-night call last week for a carbon monoxide alarm sent a person to the hospital after high levels of toxic gas were detected inside the residence. The news release said firefighters also rescued a dog who was still inside. While on scene investigating, firefighters say they later learned the homeowner was feeling ill consistent with anyone who had been exposed to prolonged exposure of carbon monoxide. Liberty Township Fire said the homeowner made the right decision to call 911 early and have the residence inspected before going to sleep. Fire officials say carbon monoxide is a tasteless, colorless and odorless gas and according to the Centers for Disease Control, every year at least 430 people die in the U.S. from accidental CO poisoning. “A simple check of your carbon monoxide detector at least twice a year can help save someone’s life. The detector in this homeowner’s residence alerted and saved her life,” the news release said.